Tuesday, 10 May 2011

Congrats to Stef!


Congratulations!!!!
5/8 was Mother’s day. It was also Stef’s wedding day. Congratulations again.
Let’s see a news report about her wedding.
We can find out that the reporter’s slang is quite different than usual English we’ve heard always. It’s perfect Singlish.

I live nearby Singapore. Therefore Singlish is actually very usual and normal to me. When I go shopping in Singapore, I’d need to speak English. And you can find, not only Singapore Chinese, Malay and Indians also speak in the same slang.
I used to dislike Singlish. It’s just like kind of mix language. I’d think it’s not classy before. But when I came here in Taiwan, I’d change my mind. Just like what Rainbow had shared in her blog, language is a tool to converse. Malaysian mandarin is also a mix language, but it makes a comfortable feeling to me. We Malaysians in Taiwan will always converse in our “pasar” (market) mandarin. It’s our culture. Just like Singlish, it’s a culture. Why don’t we accept them instead of scorning them?
Language is just conversing tool. Just like Stef and Nadim can get married even they’re from different culture background. So what’s the worry about different slang?

4 comments:

  1. I'm not a news follower, so when I watch TV News while I was at restaurant, and saw reports about Stef's wedding ceremony, I was so surprised!!! Needless to say, she is so beautiful! >///<

    I watched the movie called "小孩不笨" yesterday. It contained a lot of Singlish conversation, and it's interesting when I noticed that they mixed Taiwanese language in it. In the movie, they mentioned the issue of "pure language". I agree with the idea that it is one of Singapore's cultures and features, and we should not judge it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can’t agree more! In fact, years ago, I used to dislike other dialects which are used in Taiwan, but later I told myself just like what you said: it’s a culture; I should accept and respect them. After all, I found the interesting and cute points in those dialects and even started to love them.
    By the way, the word "market" in Turkish is "pazar." It’s very similar to your language. What a coincident!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, there was a typo..."coincidence"...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! Hui Kee!
    Do you believe that the music I’m listening to while watching your blog is JJ’s “她說(She Says)”? I remember the lyrics are written by Stef, right? Ha! Ha! It’s a good coincidence! Recently, I take out and listen to Stef’s music again. I think she’s one of the amazing singers because all the touching moments I felt few years ago come up now! Will you keep writing this blog? Maybe we can keep contact and talk about her music. LOL
    I am really unforgettable what Rainbow has talked about accent, too! I am now thinking of traveling in Thailand, Finland and Japan in this year. As I image how the trips would be, I find conversations are the most important. It seems that how much I can express is more important than how my accent sounds. After thinking of this, Rainbow’s voice comes out with “Language is just a tool to converse!” :)

    ReplyDelete