Monday, 2 May 2011

Love at First Sight

Love at First Sight
Wislawa Szymborska
Both are convinced
that a sudden surge of emotion bound them together.
Beautiful is such a certainty,
but uncertainty is more beautiful.

Because they didn't know each other earlier, they suppose that
nothing was happening between them.
What of the streets, stairways and corridors
where they could have passed each other long ago?

I'd like to ask them
whether they remember-- perhaps in a revolving door
ever being face to face?
an "excuse me" in a crowd
or a voice "wrong number" in the receiver.
But I know their answer:
no, they don't remember.

They'd be greatly astonished
to learn that for a long time
chance had been playing with them.

Not yet wholly ready
to transform into fate for them
it approached them, then backed off,
stood in their way
and, suppressing a giggle,
jumped to the side.
There were signs, signals:
but what of it if they were illegible.
Perhaps three years ago,
or last Tuesday
did a certain leaflet fly
from shoulder to shoulder?
There was something lost and picked up.
Who knows but what it was a ball
in the bushes of childhood.

There were doorknobs and bells
on which earlier
touch piled on touch.
Bags beside each other in the luggage room.
Perhaps they had the same dream on a certain night,
suddenly erased after waking.

Every beginning
is but a continuation,
and the book of events
is never more than half open.

-translated by Walter Whipple
 It’s a famous poem by Wislawa Szymborska, a female Poland poet. What is the relationship of her with Stef? Ha…
Jimmy created a picture book called “Turn left, turn right”, which is actually based on the poem. You can find the poem in the movie version, which is stared by Gigi Leong and Kaneshiro Takeshi.
Stef sang the movie theme song, “遇見”.  I think it’s much better than the Cantonese version by Gigi Leong. Stef’s voice makes a feeling of lament, not too strong, but touching. I think the lyrics, the music composition and Stef’s voice match perfectly. It seems listeners can easily get a picture of the story. I give it a “Like”.




3 comments:

  1. I love this song,too!!
    Everytime I listen to the song, Jimmy's drawings come up in my mind. Stephanie's voice really translates the story and the lyric in a perfact way. I really love the story and the song. And I think it tells me that we should grasp and treasure every lovely moment in our life, especially the "MR. RIGHT" thing. :")

    ReplyDelete
  2. This song is one of my favorate song, and I know this movie but I have not watched it yet. I thick I will watch this movie on TV when the chanle "Star Movie" play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the movie “Turn left, turn right", because i think 金城武 is very charming. This song '遇見' pretty match in the movie. It always makes me feel desolate and lonely. Stephanie is one of my favorite singer too. Her new album is also outstanding.

    ReplyDelete